Saturday, October 29, 2011

Paint Chip Boxes

When Sherry (and Katie, Ana and Erin) mentioned that the Pinterest Challenge was back for its fall 2011 edition I was thrilled to jump on the bandwagon. See my whole relationship with Pinterest is due to Sherry and her persuasive letters and since the last Pinterest Challenge happened while I was in California for a week sans internet (and pre iPhone) I knew I had to participate this time. The icing on the cake was that the weeklong challenge coincided exactly with our two and a half day break from school due to teacher conventions. Extra long weekend + Pinterest Challenge + super cold birthday + Courtney's birthday coming up = time for some intense crafting. Of course I had a mountain of homework (thanks Ms. Nies) so I didn't end up doing it until Saturday night after a long, cold, somewhat disappointing day cheering on both of our teams at state. But I digress.

Since I was going to be super busy, I knew what I was going to take on had to be relatively quick and easy with very few materials on hand, so I hopped right on over to my paint chips board on Pinterest. (Yes I have a board especially dedicated to paint chips. It's a sickness people.) I decided to make cute little paint chip boxes based off of Jessica's tutorial on How About Orange. (Another Sherry find.)

So I gathered up all my supplies and set to work.


A couple notes about my supplies: I couldn't find our double sided tape so I just made loops of scotch tape and that worked just find. Also, for a cutting mat I used an old magazine and that worked just fine, as long as you aren't expecting to be able to read it after you use it. Since I don't have an exacto knife, I just used a box cutter.

One useful tip I discovered was that it's easier to cut straight lines if you use your ruler as a guide, like so.


The first cap I made didn't fit for some reason so I just made another one (this time in pink!) but the rest all turned out awesomely. I'm super happy with them and think I'm going to use them as a box for some Hershey's Bliss to give to Courtney for her birthday on Tuesday.


So thanks Sherry (and Katie, Ana and Erin).

5 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Could be handy for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these on pinterest too. Yours turned out so well. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are adorable! way to go for jumping in with something little, even when you didn't have time and energy for much. It helps so much to just get started.

    ReplyDelete